Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Her 21st Birthday Gift


I haven't heard of anyone getting a revolver on their 21st birthday before, until recently. This is not something I had seen on t.v. or had read in news papers. It actually happened to our very own family.

As a 21st birthday present, my husband gave our daughter a Ruger SP101 revolver. He mentioned it to me before he bought it, and I had mixed emotions about it then and still do. But our daughter expressed interest in wanting to go with her dad (my husband) to do some target shooting at the firing range. She said she would not go hunting with him, but that she would like to go target shooting with him at the firing range.

Intead of lending one of his guns to her, my husband decided to buy our daughter her very own. For months, he checked the internet until he was satisfied that he found the dealer with the lowest price before he bought the gun. The gun was shipped to a local gun dealer in town where the legal transaction was handled before the gun was brought home.

I have to admit, the gun looks snazzy. The weight and the grip handle were just perfect for her small, delicate hands. She was pretty stoked about it. She loves playing with any kind of shooting video games, so she should love it more with the real thing.

One weekend, she and my husband attended a two-day pistol safety training for conceal weapon permit. I asked my husband why she needed a concealed weapon permit when all she was going to use it for will be at the firing range. It's not like she's going to be carrying it in her purse at the school compound where weapons of any sorts are prohibited, you know?

He explained that even though the class was offered for concealed weapon permit, it's more for educating people, like our daughter, about their guns and how to use them properly and safely. The class also teaches them the legal aspect of using the gun for self denfense.

I must say that our daughter's gun is properly registered and is safely stored in my husband's gun safety cabinet, for now. So, there's no cause for panic about my daughter owning a gun. She's not carrying it around with her. She may, at some point, when she's going to be on her own, after college. At which time, she maybe using it more for self defense. For now, she can't wait to go to the firing range with her dad to see if her video games shooting skills are just as good with the real thing.

11 comments:

BoBo said...

Very awesome! Now you need to post up some pix of the beauty (the gun, not your daughter)..uhh (not that your daughter isn't a beauty, but..) okay..I'm just getting myself into a hole here...

You should post some pix of the gun! You guys are awesome for doing this for your daughter. Let's hope she never actually needs to protect herself with it. But, if the need arises, at least you guys know she's locked and loaded!

Nice blog here! Thanks for the suggestion. I'll be sure to visit often!

tashabud said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
tashabud said...

bobo, thanks for visiting. I'll ask my daughter and hubby's permission to let me take pictures of the gun. I tried to download from the web, but they're all protected. I think a picture will add a nice touch to the post. Thanks for suggesting.

The Jillybean said...

As a mother I think I like this idea. I think it is a good idea because of the fact that she will be empowered with the knowledge that she never has to be the victim unless she so chooses.

Jenaisle said...

Tasha, my first reaction was, oh God! Does she really need it? But when I have read your post...well, "mother knows best". You know your daughter and I'm sure you know what's good for her.

I can imagine, a very beautiful young woman, brandishing a gun in her hip pocket..he he he....kidding....

Good post.

Get your site meter and feeds Tasha, at the http://feeds.feedburner.com/

This way, readers can subscribe to your feeds, allowing more exposure of your blog.

Happy blogging!

Mom8 said...

Good Morning Tashabud....just read your blog, and have to admit, my 1st reaction was "WHAT!!!" but after reading your whole post, I guess it is a good idea. I remember well going to the country way out at a dump where my daddy stacked cans and bottles to shoot at. I was very small so didn't shoot, but I sure enjoyed going with him. Great fun for your daughter!

Mom8 said...

Good Morning Tashabud....just read your blog, and have to admit, my 1st reaction was "WHAT!!!" but after reading your whole post, I guess it is a good idea. I remember well going to the country way out at a dump where my daddy stacked cans and bottles to shoot at. I was very small so didn't shoot, but I sure enjoyed going with him. Great fun for your daughter!

tashabud said...

jillybean, thanks for visiting my site. You and my husband are on the same wavelength on the self defense topic. I'm still not sure about it, though. I have no qualm about owning guns for gun collecting, hunting, or other gun sporting purposes, but for some reason, I have issues when it comes to using them for self defense. I know I'm not making any sense at all. It's just the way I feel. I just don't feel comfortable with the idea of me or my family actually using a gun to shoot at people, even if it's in self defense. Anyway, thanks for commenting. I'll be visiting your site soon.

Jena, I sensed a bit of glamorization tone in your comment. Yeah, she would look great in a cowgirl outfit with 2 gun holsters on her hips if she'd like to join her dad in the cowboy action group. I'll try to follow your feedsburner suggestion when I have more time.

Mom8, I'm sorry that my post shocked you the way it did. I'm glad that you hung around to get the real scoop about it though. My daughter actually did some target shooting during the 2-day class she and my husband took. She did very well. By the way, it's good to see you in my neck of the woods. I truly appreciate you stopping by. Do come again.

BoBo said...

Nice Pix! Perfect size for a concealed weapon! Thanks for posting it up!

Liz said...

OMG.. a gun.. I didn't get that on my 21st birthday! *sobs*

But anyway, regarding your reply to my entry, I made it as my personal website layout. I was actually inspired by a layout with character positioned horizontally. *innocent grin* So, I tried it out on my drawing too. I think it's at the angle I would most like it to be. =)

tashabud said...

Bobo, I'm glad you approved. Thanks for stopping by again.

Liz, you are so funny. Don't worry, you don't need a gun anyway. Besides, the Philippines doesn't have firing range. Am I correct? I understand that airsoft games are popular there. Hey, I'm still waiting for you to critique my novel. What happened, you lost interest?